SMi Group announced that the 4th annual Defence Safety conference https://www.smi-online.co.uk/ will convene in London on the 4th and 5th October 2021. This event is supported by the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) Defence Safety Authority.
For 2021 the principle focus areas will be; Simplifying Safety, the certification and safety assurance of autonomous vehicles and cyber security. Last year we began looking at how Simplifying Safety would lead to better adoption and execution of safety across core Defence assets, this year we will extend that to look at how new platforms and systems could benefit from leaner but equally comprehensive safety strategies. The rise of robotic and autonomous systems in the land environment requires new training and certification processes.
At the Defence Safety Conference 2021 we will look at how the UK and international Defence forces are adopting safety standards for this important military growth area. The security of safety relating to cyber risk management will also be a focal point. As military networks continue to deliver operational superiority, ensuring platforms, systems and downstream supply chain remain secure must be an area of safety investment.
Last year’s conference hosted over 280 attendees from 18 nations and contributions ranged from the Vice Chief of Defence Staff to Chief Executives of Industry, as well as international operational leaders and military safety experts.
The 2021 Defence Safety Conference will feature briefings from across the air, land and maritime domains, as well as from defence leaders from industry and policy makers. Featured Speakers include:
- Air Commodore Joseph Medved, Director General, Defence Aviation Safety Authority, Australian Air Force
- Air Marshal Gerry Mayhew, Deputy Commander Operations, Royal Air Force High Wycombe
- Air Marshal Sue Gray, Director General Defence Safety Authority, Ministry of Defence, UK
- Air Vice Marshal Nigel Colman, Commander Joint Helicopter Command , Army HQ
- Andrew Sherry, Chair of the Defence Nuclear Safety Committee, UK MoD
- Brigadier General Anders Persson, Deputy Commander Air Force , Swedish Air Force
- Brigadier General Andrew Hilmes, Commander, U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center, , US Army
- Captain (N) Maxine Lawes, Director, NZDF Directorate of Safety, New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF)
- Chris Allam, Executive Group Director Engineering & Managing Director, MBDA UK, MBDA UK
- Colonel Georg von Harling, Head Of The Department Fire Protection & Hazardous Materials, German Armed Forces
- Colonel Hans Martin Steiro, Inspector of Flight Safety, Royal Norwegian Air Force
- Colonel Ron Jongejeugd, Head of Army Safety Royal Netherlands Army, Royal Netherlands Army
- Commodore David Patchell, Director General Naval Strategic Readiness, Royal Canadian Navy
- Lieutenant General Richard Nugee, Defence Climate Change Non-Executive Director, Ministry of Defence
- Lieutenant General Christopher Tickell, Deputy Chief of General Staff, Army HQ
- Lieutenant General Robert Magowan, Deputy Commander Strategic Command, UK Ministry of Defence
- Major General Ayedh Mohammed Al Ahmari, Director General of Safety, Royal Saudi Ministry of Defense
- Major General Jan Kuebart, Director General Military Aviation Authority, German MoD
- Mr. Charles Forte, Chief Information Officer, UK Ministry of Defence
- Mr. Wim Bargerbos, Inspector General, Defence Safety Inspectorate, Ministry of Defence Netherlands
- Rear Admiral Fredrick Luchtman, Commander US Navy Safety Center, US Navy
- Simon Bowen, Chief Executive, Babcock Nuclear, Babcock Nuclear
- Vice Admiral Jerry Kyd, Fleet Commander, Royal Navy