Rear Admiral Ahmed Al Sabab Al Teneiji, the former Chief of Naval Staff of the UAE, and Chairman of this important conference, stated, “The OPV Middle East conference occurs every year for several important reasons: firstly we want to identify the major threats to the region from the maritime domain, secondly we share ideas of how to overcome operational challenges we face at sea, finally it is an opportunity for the maritime defence community to meet and find new technological solutions which our navies can adopt.”
Like last year, one of the sessions will be led by the Commander of the US Navy based in the region, Vice Admiral John W. Miller; in charge of the 5th fleet based in Bahrain, he has overall command of one of the largest fleets of any nation worldwide.
Last year Admiral Miller highlighted the Arabian Gulf as having 3 of the world’s 6 choke points - a sea strait which, if blockaded or closed, could cause severe damage to international trade.
Along with very senior officers from UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Egypt, USA, UK, EU, Pakistan, Ukraine and further, this conference will address how best to keep the choke points from closing and to ensure oil supply is safe and unimpeded.
The Speakers list includes:
- Rear Admiral (R) Ahmed Al Sabab Al Teneiji, Chairman of OPV Middle East, former Chief of Naval Forces UAE
- Admiral Yurii Ivanovych Ilyn, Chief of Naval Staff, Ukranian Navy
- Vice Admiral Osama El-Gendi, Chief of Naval Staff, Egyptian Navy
- Vice Admiral John W. Miller, Commander, US Navy Central Command
- Vice Admiral Robert C. Parker, Commander Atlantic Area, United States Coast Guard
- Major General Ahmad Yusuf Al Mulla, Advisor to the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, Kuwait
- Rear Admiral Jassim Mohammed Al-Ansari, Chief of Naval Force, Kuwait Navy
- Rear Admiral Bruce Williams CBE, Deputy Director General, EU Military Staff
- Rear Admiral Athar Mukhtar SI(M), Director General, Pakistan Maritime Security Agency
- Rear Admiral (R) Khalid Al Shatti, Former Fleet Commander, Kuwaiti Navy
- Commodore Keith Blount, UK Maritime Component Commander, Bahrain
- Staff Commodore Ala'a Adbullah Seyadi, Commander, Bahrain Coast Guard
- Marine Brigadier General Ghanem Mubarak Al-Kameet Al-Hajery, Fleet Commander, Flotilla of the Qatar Emiri Navy
- Commodore Zain Zulfiqar, Commander, Patrol Squardron 10, Pakistan Navy
- Staff Colonel Salem Mohammed A. Al Kendie, Commander, UAE Coast Guard
- Captain Efthimios Mikros HN Director, Plans and Policy Directorate, General Staff, Hellenic Navy