The Iraqi parliament approved on Monday three more Ministers in Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi’s cabinet following several months of political disputes.
During a parliamentary session, the lawmakers approved Najah al-Shammari (photo) as Defense Minister, Yassin Taha al-Yassri as Interior Minister and Farouq Amin al-Shawwani as Justice Minister, Baghdad Today reported.
The three Ministers are scheduled to take the oath of office shortly at the parliament.
However, the lawmakers rejected the appointment of Sufana al- Hamdani as Education Minister.
Former Minister of education Shaimaa Al-Hayaali has offered her resignation to Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi last December amid reports that her brother had links with the terrorist Islamic State group.
The parliamentary vote on the vital Ministries was delayed several times over political divisions.
Born in 1967, Iraq’s new Defense Minister held the following positions:
Command of the Special Operations Brigade 2003-2004
- Commander of the Special Operations Squad 2004-2007
- Deputy Commander of counterterrorism forces 2007-2009
- Senior teacher at National Defense College 2009-2011
- Director of the Joint Coordination Center for the disputed areas 2011-2012
- Secretary of follow-up to the Ministry of Defense